I give you permission to drool at this blog post. Really, it's okay. I won't tell anybody.
If you like brunch, cream cheese, stuffing things into yummy breads and feeling every so slightly like a culinary pimp, you're in luck.
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't get french toast as a kid. The whole 'dunking bread into eggs and throwing them on a pan' just made no sense to me.
... obviously, I was a flawed child. (PS: You will never, ever, ever hear me say that again. Consider yourself lucky for hearing it once.)
This recipe takes your brunch making abilities to a whole new level. Brett was slightly speechless when he took the first bite. That says something, people.
Try it. You'll like it. Promise.
Strawberry + Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Print this recipe!
8 1-inch slices of Italian bread
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons strawberry jam or preserves
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash vanilla extract
1. Combine cream cheese and jam/preserves. Set aside.
2. Take a sharp knife to cut slices through top of each slice. Carefully stuff cream cheese mixture by the spoonful into each slice of bread.
3. Combine eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in shallow bowl. Lightly whip until well combined.
4. Heat non-stick pan at medium-low heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter.
5. Working with two slices at a time, drudge through egg mixture on both sides. Allow to soak for 5 seconds and shake off excess. Place in heated pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes each. Work in batches until slices are complete.
6. Add syrup if you like. It's good with or without it.
7. Marvel in your awesomeness and pat yourself on the back. Okay, go chow down!